The Mountain Top Fire Company was organized in 1927 after 3 fires at the Twigg Store, Wilson home and the Barnett Store in one night. The company was incorporated in 1928. The property, which is the current location was donated by the Harbison Walker Brick Company. The company began with 8-10 round bottom buckets and a ladder. All of which were housed in the 1 car garage behind the RJ Barnett Store. The first “ fire truck” was a 1924 Page automobile donated by Cobb Pfouts. A “chemical tank” was mounted as well as hooks for the ladder and room for the buckets. The first permanent building, purchased for $ 80.00, was a hay barn in the nearby Mulligan Hollow area and was dismantled and moved to its current location. This part of the building is the current 2 bay fire truck side.
The first officers were:
President Charles Gearhart
V. Pres. Forest Gill
Secretary J.C. Malaker
Treasurer Paul Vaughn
Trustee s R.J. Barnett, J.W. Merryman, Edman Faust
Chief John Henry
Asst Chief James Moore
Asst Chief S. H. Swope
Oct 20, 1929 First carnival held at the Retort Park
Oct 25, 1929 First meeting was held at the “new” building.
March 13,1944 Junior fireman were accepted at the age of 16
August 1944 First public dinner was held at cost of 1.00 adults and .55 for kids
July 31,1944 “Old Schoolhouse” was sold for 225.00
March 13,1950 Motion to give the “fire company” back to Harbison Walker due to lack of interest.
March 27,1950 Special Re-organizational meeting held. Former motion rescinded to give up the fire company.
May 8,1950 Ladies Auxiliary formed.
Sept 1, 1950 Carnival held with a profit of 1,052.91
Dec 1950 First Christmas treats distributed for kids and fruit baskets for the sick and needy
July 3,1952 First new fire truck arrived. A 1952 Central on a Chevy Chassis.
Jan 12, 1953 Fire Police unit officially organizes.
June 8, 1953 Total membership listed as 151
Oct 16,1961 First ambulance purchased. A **** Packard for 400.00
April 12,1971 First, of many, county music shows with the Blue Ridge Quartet held.
June 17,1971 Motion to build a new addition was passed.
Nov 13,1972 Fire Company owned Community Park opened
Aug 1982 1 ambulance was moved to Osceola Mills at the fire station.
June 28, 1982 Meeting room addition began
Nov 28, 1983 The company dispatch was taken over by Centre County in State College.
June 6,1985 "Old School House" burned
June 24, 1985 Hydraulic rescue tools purchased and put in service
Nov 25, 1986 Ariel Ladder truck put in service. First in the Moshannon Valley.
Jun 22, 1990 The current Osceola Mills ambulance station was purchased.